- Emphasis is on practical advice and tips
- Goal is to help improve board performance
- All directors are encouraged to complete the training
The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited (the Exchange), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (HKEX), today launched the first of its director training webcasts entitled "Duties of directors and the role and functions of board committees".
The first webcast, which followed from the Exchange's news release dated 9 December 2016 that said it had decided to launch the training programme in 2017, covers the following seven topics, with each explained in a 5-10 minute video:
- Considerations before joining a board
- Dealing with suspected conflict of interest situations
- The right approach when faced with complex transactions
- Information/resources available to directors and the importance of training
- The role and functions of board committees; board diversity
- Appropriate delegation
- Practical tips
Webcast speakers Moses Cheng, Honorary President, Hong Kong Institute of Directors; Gillian Meller, Company Secretary, MTR Corporation Ltd; John Seto, Independent Non-executive Director (INED), China Everbright Ltd; May Tan, INED, Link Asset Management Ltd (manager of Link REIT); and Kent Wong, Managing Director, Chow Tai Fook Jewellery Group Ltd share the valuable experience and perspectives they acquired from their directorships and senior management positions. The Exchange would like to thank the speakers and Hong Kong Institute of Directors for their support of the webcasts.
"With emphasis on providing practical advice and tips on how to tackle challenging scenarios through real-life case studies, these webcasts are designed to enable directors to understand the responsibilities they have undertaken as directors of listed companies," said David Graham, HKEX's Chief Regulatory Officer and Head of Listing. "We strongly encourage all directors to complete the training to help improve board performance."